Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My Wishes and I


 

One evening   I went to shop in a supermarket and as I was waiting on the queue to pay my bill I glanced at the exit and spotted this guard hopelessly staring at a lady standing next to him fiddling with her costly phone. I really felt for this guy because from his look I would tell he was saying to himself, “ I wish it was me, or I wish this was mine(the phone)”I watched his hopeless face as hordes of people walked in and out splashing a lot of cash in exchange for all sorts of nice merchandise .I know there are so many people out there who are like this guard in the supermarket and who keep on blaming themselves, their families, their environment and even God for not letting them have what others have. They keep on saying to themselves, “I wish it was me”

I think I am one of them, every time I walk on the road or streets and see some young pint sized girls looking 10 years older than me driving state of the art expensive cars, I always recite the phrase, “woiye I wish it was me”

Every time I visit the so called leafy suburbs and watch kids being driven to school by their parents in nice vehicles or being picked from home by their school buses, “I wish when I was a kid I enjoyed the same kind of privilege” always flashes on my mind.

Sometimes when I pass by Galitos, or Pizza Inn and see them buying pizzas, chips and chicken while in my pocket I only have a rugged 50bob that can probably afford some light meal in a backstreet café  where chances of being mugged are high, I always wish I were them.

Sometimes I get lucky and make some trips to the airport probably to see off some friends or something. There I meet opulence face to face. I see rich kids and their folks with their huge baggage running to either catch a plane or have just landed, I always wish I could fit in their baggage,in their bags so that I can fly like them.

I bet now I have hit 1001 “I wishes” no wonder it turned out so easy to figure out what the “staring at the lady guard” at the supermarket was thinking. However I have decided I am going to put a period at the end of my wishes, I am going to start a new sentence .I came across something that my father scribbled for me and that is what is going to start my new sentence. He said to me that he shall fulfill all the desires of my heart according to his riches in glory; I therefore start my sentence with the word desire. I wish I had that guard’s contact I would have called him to welcome him into this new narrative. And to all of you out there,” I wish” won’t help you, it’s a vehicle to take back to history, focus on the future and begin desiring.

No comments: